The X Windows System
How do you install the X Windows System?
- The first step in installing the X Windows System is to select the proper monitor. For this simulation, we will use an ADI MicroScan 2E. Click this choice now.
- Now click the OK button to accept this choice.
- After you select the monitor, the install checks to see what video hardware is present and probes for mode information. You can see that the configuration utility has found a mode with 32-bit color depth and high resolution. Select the Let me choose option to select the video modes to enable the information given.
- The third step is to select the video modes you want to use. First, deselect the 1280x1024 setting by clicking the square next to it. To add 1024x768 in 16-bit mode to the list, click the square next to it. Add 800x600 in the 24-bit mode by clicking the square next to it.
- Select OK to accept these two modes.
- Now choose OK to start the X server and test the configuration.
- Congratulations--the X server has started correctly.