1) First open the phonelist file.
2) When you press/ to start a forward search, your cursor goes to the status line.
3) Press Enter and the cursor moves to the text 28, which is the first instance that the regular expression 2 matches.
4) To search again, press n, a command that does not appear on the screen.
5) Press? to a start a backward search. Notice the cursor again goes to the status line.
6) Press Enter and the backward search begins from the last cursor position
Click the Exercise link below to practice finding text in vi.
Searching Text in vi- Exercise