Open source Language Overview
- Complex language for rapid development when speed can be sacrificed for ease of modifications. Runs on virtually all platforms.
- Easy to program, best for tasks that would normally be performed at a command line such as system administration work or installing/maintaining programs.
- Provides high speed, secure code. Requires compilation.
- Good for interactive use, but rarely a good choice for programs because of poor programming functionality.
- Strong scripting language for system administration tasks that shell scripts cannot handle. Can use the Tk toolkit to provide a graphical interface.
- Object-oriented scripting language. Programs can include graphical interfaces.